North London's Top 10 Festive Treats
Posted on 5 December 2013.
Posted in: HT Blogs
As the season of good will gets underway, we thought we’d share with you our top 10 recommendations for what to do in North(ish) London this December…
1. Take a stroll through beautiful Hampstead Heath and end up at the newly reopened Kenwood House. Having been closed for the past 10 months, you can now admire the extraordinary art collection inside the house itself which includes works by Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Turner and join in with special 1760s themed festive activities including wreath making and a carol concert in the Orangery.
2. Looking to watch a festive flick? The Lexi Cinema will be screening the Christmas classic It’s A Wonderful Life just down the road from their Kensal Green home at St John’s beautiful Victorian parish church on 21 December. And you’ll be doing a bit of Christmas giving at the same time as 100% of all of the cinema’s profits are donated to charity.
3. Fancy a panto with a difference? How about a panto on ice as that’s exactly what you’ll find at Alexandra Palace this month. The Little Mermaid on Ice runs 9 – 16 December and if you want to try out the moves yourself the rink is also available for public skating sessions, skating lessons and even discos on ice.
4. Got little ones? Head over to Santa’s Grotto at London Zoo in Regent’s Park to meet Father Christmas and his famous reindeer every weekend running up to Christmas. Your little elves can also be a Keeper’s Little Helper for the day and help prepare treats and present’s for the animals.
5. Check out Camden Lock Christmas Night Markets, which opens for business 10am – 10pm 12 – 14 December, for unique Christmas gifts. Whether you’re looking for the perfect stocking stuffer, to customize your own shower gel or just a cup of hot mulled wine the Night Market has it all – and you’ll be entertained by musicians, performers and dancers while you shop.
6. Fancy a swim this December? Outdoors? Then why not head over to the Outdoor Swimming Society December Dip at Parliament Hill Lido on Saturday 7 December. And if you’re not brave enough to give it go, spectators are also welcome and festive treats are on hand.
7. Looking for somewhere to show off your Triple Salchow? Come skate at London’s newest outdoor ice rink in the Piazza at the JW3, opening 8 December. Whether you’re a master ice skater, or just looking for a fun time with family and friends, this is the perfect place to get in a festive mood.
8. Tuck into an old-fashioned festive roast with all the trimmings after a meander on the Heath at the Hollybush Pub in Hampstead, which has a special Festive Menu available until 30 December.
9. Puppet theatre company, Little Angel Theatre, present The Night Before Christmas, a brand new family musical which updates and adapts the old classic poem by Clement Clarke Moore. This charming comedy runs until 5 January.
10. Feeling the Christmas overload? Drawing the Line, written by Howard Brenton and directed by Howard Davies is a perfect treat without any elves, snowmen, santas or tinsel. One for the grown-ups, it runs until 11 January – limited availability so book soon.
Latest from Twitter:
Hampstead Theatre @Hamps_Theatre
We stand together in solidarity with the people of Belarus in their fight for freedom and democracy and join the ca… https://t.co/ujkaZCDFmQ12 days ago
Hampstead Theatre @Hamps_Theatre
6 plays, 6 weeks of epic drama. Thank you to all the artists - on & off stage - for allowing us to share your stunn… https://t.co/rFH4U09Tz65 months ago
- Hampstead Theatre @Hamps_Theatre